Due to the frequent racist tendencies of producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, LOST has frequently demonstrated frequent Racism.
Racism in Character Death and Post-Death Edit
Death of Minorities Edit
Throughout LOST, many characters have died brutal deaths. None more so than minorities. This includes:
- Mr. Eko - African Priest/Druglord
- Ana Lucia Cortez - Hispanic Cop/Bitch
- Michael Dawson - African-American Painter/Bad father
- Nikki Fernandez - Hispanic actress/Gold-digging stripper
- Paulo - Hispanic.... something or other
- Uncle Tito - Hurley's good-for-nothing uncle.
- Yemi - African Priest/The Devil
- Naomi Dorrit
- Matthew Abaddon
- Jae Lee
Racism regarding Character Post-Death Appearances. Edit
Even though Caucasian characters have died on the show, each and everyone has been seen as a ghostly figure later on in the show. This is because, in the LOST universe, Heaven is only for white people. Whites seen alive after their death include:
In should be noted that some minorities have appeared on the show as post-death visions/ghosts. Ana-Lucia did appear in season 5, but as the devil. Telling Hurley that he’d better go back to the Island or he - as a minority - would die and burn forever. In a similar manner, Yemi appeared - also as the devil - in season 2.
One Side is Light, One Side is Dark Edit
A common theme on the show, and possibly the most explicit form of racism by the producers/writers, is the often stated saying: "One Side is Light, One Side is Dark". This obviously refers to race in the show and how the "light-skinned" will forever be at war with the "dark-skinned".
Getting into HeavenEdit
As Season 6 concluded, it was revealed that the flash-sideways was actually the afterlife. Many of the characters, now remembering who they were, got together in a big mutli-faith politically correct church to go to heaven. It was also revealed who actually got to go to heaven: white people.
John Locke? White.
Rose? Married a white guy.
Hurley? Married a white girl.
Other Moments of Racism Edit
Season One Edit
- "Pilot, Part 1" -- Sayid, an Iraqi Muslim is accused by Sawyer the redneck of hijacking the plane.
- "Special" -- Michael's wife leaves him for a rich white guy.
- "Exodus, Part 2" -- Notice how NO ONE condemns the Black Rock's use of white slaves.
- "Exodus, Part 3" -- Everyone was so sure that Aaron, the white kid, was going to be kidnapped. Because: who would pay a ransom for Walt?